Non-Resident Non-Transferable Birr Account

This account is a Birr account. The holder can withdraw only in Birr. To buy foreign currency from this account, he/she should have got a foreign exchange permit after presenting confirmed Air Ticket & Passport.

Eligible Entities

  • Embassies, Diplomats;
  • International organizations and Foreign Investors;
  • NGOs, Expatriate Employees of International organizations and of non-resident companies

Document Requirements

  • A permit from the NBE;
  • A letter of application that states the manner of operation, signed by the head of the delegation & for NGO’s from the organization’s Head Office or regional office; and Permit from the respective government body
  • ID cards or passports of the signatories’ of the account
  • The Memorandum of Association, Article of Association (for companies) certificate of registration for foreign Investor
  • A letter from the employer, which confirms that her or his salary is paid in a foreign currency for Expatriate Employees of International Organizations